We see in the life of Jesus that prayer was important to Him, and He encourages us in Matthew 6:6 to make prayer a priority in our lives. May the material shared here be a blessing and an encouragement as you walk in a prayer relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Do you have a storage closet in your mind that contains a box of difficult and hurtful words that were spoken to you? The words from a family member that made you feel you will never be good enough in a certain area. Or the words from a broken relationship that continues to cause pain. Maybe you have in your box the words from a job situation that said you were no longer needed or a friendship that has gone wrong.
When we experience painful words from others it leaves a wound in our heart that will continue to stay in the storage closet of the mind if we are not careful to clean it out. Is it time to clean out your closet? You might feel, “Oh that’s easy for you to say, you have no idea how much I have been hurt by words, how angry I feel or that I will never forget what was said.”
As long as you continue to store those words in your mind you will have an open door for the enemy to speak lies and condemnation to you. It will be one of the tools the enemy uses to keep you chained to the very words that were said to you and will pour into other areas of your life, other relationships and more importantly into your life with Christ.
Galatians 5:1 says, “It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery.” Receive the freedom that Jesus has offered you by His life. You no longer have to be an emotional slave to the words that have hurt you or kept you in bondage. Begin by asking the Lord to heal the wound, the memory and the emotions of the hurtful words. God’s Word tells us that Christ has set us free so pray you will begin to receive and understand the freedom that is offered through Jesus.
It's also important to forgive the person who spoke the words. This person might not be in your life any longer or you may be unable to speak to them about the hurt they caused, but you can still forgive them from your heart. Tell the Lord you want to Him to do a work in your heart and emotions to help you forgive and be set free from the pain, the words and the memories.
Don’t allow the enemy to continue to try and open the door. When the memories or the words come to mind refuse to think about them. Philippians 4:8 instructs us to think about things that are lovely, honorable and pure, that we are to dwell or focus on minds on what is true. Don’t keep going back to think about the words, but instead direct your thoughts to scripture. Concentrate on the words of life that Jesus spoke instead of the words of death from the enemy.
“… we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ” II Corinthians 10:5
Sometimes the Lord has a hidden plan
That we don't always understand
He uses hard and difficult things
To help us know Him as our King
Even when life goes up and down
Our Lord gives each of us a crown
The Bible calls it the crown of loving kindness
That gives us the daily guidance
To face our deep trials and pain
Knowing He is going to remain
By our side as we suffer
Our Father has promised His mercy will cover
Our lives with His love and healing
So take the step to do some kneeling
Pray your life be redeemed from destruction
And trust the Lord to remove the obstruction
If you are feeling upset and hard pressed
This is what I would suggest
Look to the Word in Psalm 103
To find important things you need
Healing, renewal and forgiveness
Are only a few of the riches
That have been promised from above
To those who put their trust in the Father's love.
"Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget none of His benefits;
Who pardons all your iniquities who heals all your diseases;
Who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with loving kindness and compassion;
Who satisfies your years with good things, so that your youth is renewed like the eagle.
The Lord performs righteous deeds and judgments for all who are oppressed.
I thought my life was set on being humble
then I felt a dart aimed at my heart to cause me to stumble.
The whisper of the enemy that I don't fit in
tried to lure me back into sin.
Why do the ways of the world set my heart to beating
when I know they are only moments of pleasure that are fleeting.
Times of indulgence that calls to my heart
a fun pursuit that will spread its wings and quickly depart.
I turn to the one who knows what is best
asking to be delivered from the pleasure seeking test.
Lord, heal my heart of worldly desires
burn them out with Your refiner's fire.
My path I have chosen to follow the God I love
where it leads I'm unsure but I trust the one above.
Lord Jesus your ways I willing choose
because nothing compares to walking with you.
"Take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one"
Ephesians 6:16 (ESV)
Have you ever considered the importance of the name of Jesus? This name is so powerful that when we call upon the name of the Lord Jesus Christ we will be saved (Romans 10:13). This name has the power to heal and to make demons flee (Acts 3:6 & Mark 5:7). When the people of Israel trusted in the name of the Lord their enemies were defeated (II Chronicles 14:11). This is the name that has the same power for your life to heal and overcome the power of the enemy. It is a name we are to praise (Psalms 113:1) a name we are to walk in (Michah 4:5) a name we live by, "Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus" Colossians 3:17.
There is something else to consider about the name of Jesus. He tells us in John 17:11 that His name was given to Him by the Father, "Holy Father, keep them in Your name, the name which You have given Me, that they may be one even as We are." Jesus' prayer to the Father was that we would be kept in unity and relationship with the Lord based on His name. Jesus also prayed we will experience the same love He shares with the Father, "and I have made Your name known to them, and will make it known, so that the love with which You loved me may be in them, and I in them" John 17:26.
Because this name is so significant we have a caution in scripture not to take it lightly or speak it casually without reverence. You might think OMG is a fashionable term to use with your friends, but the Word of God says, "You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain." We are to respect the name of the Lord that has been given to us as a gift and honor the name that will keep us in a loving relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
"Ascribe to the Lord the glory due to His name" Psalms 29:2
Have you ever thought about what happens at the right hand of Christ? As you look at these scriptures, consider them as promises to pray for your life and qualities to worship and praise the Lord for.
1. Reigns “So then, when the Lord Jesus had spoken to them, He was received up into heaven, and sat down at the right hand of God.” Mark 16:19
2. Inheritance “All the nations will be gathered before Him … He will separate them from one another… he will say to those on His right, Come you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you.” Matthew 25:32-34
3. Conquers “The Lord says to my Lord; sit at My right hand, until I make Thine enemies a footstool for Thy feet.” Psalm 110:1
4. Majestic “They right hand, O Lord is majestic in power.” Exodus 15:6
5. Strength “Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” Psalm 16:8
6. Judgment “Thou didst stretch out Thy right hand, the earth swallowed them.” Exodus 15:12
7. Promises “The Lord has sworn by His right hand and by His strong arm.” Isaiah 62:8
8. Victory “His right hand and his holy arm have gained the victory for Him.” Psalm 98:1
9. Power “And Jesus said, I am; and you shall see the Son of Man sitting at the right hand of power, and coming with the clouds of heaven.” Mark 14:62
10. Intercedes “Christ Jesus is He who died, yes rather who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who also intercedes for us.” Romans 8:34
11. Rescues “That Thy beloved may be delivered, save with Thy right hand, and answer us.” Psalm 60:5
12. Sustains “Thy right hand upholds me.” Psalm 63:8
13. Refuge “O Savior of those who take refuge at Thy right hand.” Psalm 17:7
14. Exalted “The right hand of the Lord is exalted.” Psalm 118:16
15. Worthy “Who is worthy to open the book … The Lion that is from the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has overcome so as to open the book … and He came, and He took it out of the right hand of Him who sat on the throne.” Revelation 5:2, 5, 7
16. Fearless “The right hand of the Lord does valiantly.” Psalm 118:16